But I want to work at this with the same fervency as Jesus who said: Don’t be like those religious people who are focused on externals thus missing the real, internal encounter with the living God. Don’t do it!
So, here are some of the tendencies that I still find lurking in my heart that pull me back into religious, institutional ways:
- Give me a structure and a plan to follow, not just a Person to cling to.
- Give me a comfortable program to do, preferably with other believers, not a mission and purpose that propels me out into the brokenness of the world.
- In fact, give me safety and routines over an adventure most days of the week.
- How about just a few rules to follow, or unique doctrines to believe, that allow me to feel assured that I am part of the ‘right’ group and that I am ‘in’ with God.
- And maybe a spiritual leader to please would be good. God’s approval is, well, hard to feel sometimes, but a little bit of man’s approval can go a long way.
- And can’t I just ‘go’ to church (even a house church) as my primary form of worship? That’s so much easier than acknowledging that I ‘am’ the church and where I go, the life and presence of Jesus goes. Do I really want to walk in that reality, as powerful as it is, on a daily basis?
There are many boxes that I find myself drawn back toward and they all pull me away from the dynamic and enthralling life that Jesus calls me to live with Him. May I find greater freedom!