Since I am currently in Africa working with phenomenally fruitful leaders, I thought it would be good to share a few “key words” on church planting movements. These words are adapted from Galen Currah who adapted them originally from David Watson. Each “word” listed here has so much meaning and power when walked out.
1. Prayer: Prayer is the starting point for all ministries. Know the mind of God and join Him in His work. Deep intimacy with God is the foundation for everything else!
2. Scripture: Scripture is foundational and the source of all teaching and preaching. Scripture → Principle → Practice
3. Disciples: Make Disciples, not converts. Converts focus on religion. Disciples focus on Jesus and obedience to His teachings.
4. Obedience: Teach Obedience to the Word, not doctrine. Doctrine is our church’s teaching from the Bible. It may be highly interpretive, and may not consider the full counsel of the Bible.
5. Churches: Communities of Believers. Form new believers into minimal bible practice groups that will become Communities of Believers (churches) who transform families and communities.
6. Authority: Authority of Scripture and the Holy Spirit are all that is needed to start. Church Planting is an act of God through His Spirit and His people who are obedient to the Word and the Spirit.
7. Persecution: Persecution is part of being a Christian. In pioneer work it is expected and response is trained.
8. Warfare: In areas where the Gospel has never been preached, or in areas where traditional religions have reigned for a significant amount of time, it is not unusual to find those engaging in CPM activities confronted by Spiritual Conflicts that range from annoying to life-threatening.
9. Plan: Act Intentionally: Plan your work & work your plan. Organic does not mean the same things as “accidental.” Crops are grown through intentional sowing with wisdom.
10. Peace: Start with the Man of Peace or an existing relationship that will permit a Discovery Bible Study or Witness.
11. Household: Focus on households or families, not on individuals. Households include non-related individual living and relating together as family.
12. Evangelise: Evangelism is an intentional calling to a family to study the Word of God in order to move from not knowing God to falling in Love with Him through Jesus.
13. Reproduce: Reproducing disciples, leaders, groups and churches become a part of the group DNA.
14. Culture (Embrace the Local Culture): Do not import external culture, but redeem local culture by embracing all you biblically can in a culture and transforming or redeeming the rest.